Why Shouldn’t You Use a Tourniquet for a Snakebite?

While it was previously believed that a tourniquet is the right solution to a snakebite, new evidence suggests otherwise.

In fact, a tourniquet could end up hurting you more than helping you. I’ll explain why.

Why Shouldn’t You Use a Tourniquet for a Snakebite?

It was long thought that the best form of snakebite first aid was applying a tourniquet and slowing down the spread of the venom, but we now know that isn’t true.

According to experts, applying a tourniquet won’t slow down the spread of the venom effectively. The venom may spread around your body at a slower rate, but it will still spread.

Furthermore, by applying a tourniquet, you slow down blood circulation to a body part that is severely envenomated.

Since so much of the venom is concentrated in that body part, applying a tourniquet will keep the majority of the venom there for some time while keeping new blood away.

This can lead to severe tissue damage, resulting in disfigurement and loss of mobility, or even amputation!

As you can see, a tourniquet can only worsen your condition. Although it may sound weird, it’s better for the venom to spread around your entire body than for it to stay concentrated in a single area.