Pemmican is the ultimate survival food: very easy to make, calorie dense and can last for decades.
- Red meat: Traditionally game meat is used, but now beef is most common. 5lbs of meat will make 1lb of dried meat
- Fat (suet): You will need to render the fat into tallow. Instructions below. Use about a 1:6 ratio of fat and dried meat, but you can experiment. The ratio doesn’t have to be exact!
- Salt: 1tsp salt per pound of meat
- Optional: dried berries, herbs, spices, honey
- Cut fat off of the meat: You should only dry the meat, not any fat on it!
- Salt the meat: This will help inhibit bacteria growth and make the pemmican taste better.
- Dry the meat: Instructions follow.
- Turn the dry meat into a powder: A meat grinder is best, but you can also use a blender or food processor. It needs to be almost a powder with no big chunks in it.
- Turn the berries into a powder: Same as with the meat.
- Mix the powdered meat and powdered berries together.
- Heat the fat so it liquefies.
- Pour the fat over the powdered meat/berry mixture. The ratio of fat to dried mixture is about 1:6, but you can experiment.
- Let cool and form into balls or bars.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic bags and store!
Follow instructions as above to make these alternative recipes:
2 cups jerky
1 cup dried fruit
1 cup tallow
½ cup almond flour
2 cups chicken jerky
4-5 tbps coconut oil, melted
Herbs or spices like thyme or curry
Peanut Butter Recipe
2 cups jerky
1 cup dried blueberries
1 cup sunflower seeds or nuts, crushed
2 tsp honey
¼ cup peanut butter, melted
- Category: snack
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 2930